Determine if your router is compatible with Tomato firmware. We used Shibby's Tomato build for this tutorial; however, you may be able to apply these instructions to other builds of Tomato as well.
Official Shibby Tomato Website: http://tomato.groov.pl/
Please note: We offer limited support for this configuration due to many variables that can cause connection or performance issues. This firmware is open-source with many versions and a growing list of supported hardware. We cannot guarantee VyprVPN's performance or functionality on your router.
Bold items are things you will click or type
Flash your router with the appropriate Tomato firmware build. *Take care in this process. Giganews cannot be held liable for any damage to your router, as flashing third-party firmware can "brick" the device, making it unusable.*
Once the router is running Tomato, open your browser and navigate to the firmware interface by entering http://192.168.1.1/ in the address bar. Press Enter.
You may or may not be prompted to log in with credentials, depending on if you already set and Admin username or password in the firmware.
On the left-hand side of the page, click VPN Tunneling, then click the OpenVPN Client sub-option.
Configure the following settings in the Basic tab:
- Check the box for Start with WAN.
- Set Interface Type to: TUN
- Set Protocol to: UDP
- For the Server Address/Port section, you will specify your desired VPN endpoint. You may select a server name to enter in this field from the list found here.
- Set Port to: 1194
- Set Firewall to: Automatic
- Set Authorization Mode to: TLS
- Check the option for Username/Password Authentication.
- Enter your Giganews username and password in the appropriate fields.
Username Authen. Only should be unchecked.
Create NAT on tunnel should be checked.
Configure the following settings in the Advanced tab:
- Set Poll Interval to: 0
- Redirect Internet traffic should be unchecked.
- Set Accept DNS Configuration to Strict
- Set Encryption Cipher to: BF-CBC
- Set Compression to: Enabled
- Set TLS Renegotiation Time to: 0
- Set Connection Retry to: 30
- Verify Server Certificate should be unchecked.
- Copy and paste the following text in the Custom Configuration box:
keepalive 10 60
Note: For the "tls-remote" line, change the example server hostname of us5.vpn.giganews.com to the desired server location hostname. It needs to match what you entered in the Server Address/Port field for the client options.
- In the Certificate Authority box, paste the text from this file: CA Cert
- Click the Save button on the bottom right-hand side of the page.
- Once the settings are saved, press the Start Now button to initiate the connection. It may take several minutes for the connection to establish.
Visit the link below to verify you are connected.
- Enjoy VyprVPN in your Tomato router!
If you need any further assistance, please contact our 24/7 Customer Success Team, who would be glad to assist.