Please note that you cannot access Usenet from a web browser. To access our service, you will need a newsreader, also referred to as a Usenet browser. Newsreaders are programs used to access Usenet like web browsers are used to access the World Wide Web.
All members can choose between a variety of Usenet browsers. The following are either free or include a free trial period:
- SABnzbd: NZBs only, Mac/Linux/Windows, free (browser-based)
- Newsbin Pro: Windows
- Hogwasher: Mac
- GrabIt: Windows
- Unison: Mac
- Pan: Linux, free
Connecting to Usenet
Once you have selected a newsreader, enter the following information:
- Server name: news.giganews.com
- Authentication: authentication is required
- Username: Giganews username
- Password: Giganews password
- Port: 563 or 443 with SSL enabled; 119, 23, or 80 with SSL disabled.
Once you have entered the server information in your newsreader:
- Download the list of newsgroups
- Subscribe to the groups most interesting to you
- Download the article headers
- Select the articles you are interested in
Please keep in mind that every newsreader has unique features. Please see your Newsreader's website for further information specific to their product.
If you need any further assistance, please contact our 24/7 Customer Success Team, who would be glad to assist.