To add a necessary registry setting:
- In the Start menu search box, type "regedit" and press ENTER
- You will be prompted to allow Administrator rights, click Yes.
- Locate and click the registry subkey named HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PolicyAgent
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and click DWORD Value
- In the New Value #1 box, type "AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule" (this is case-sensitive and contains no spaces), and press ENTER.
- Right-click AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule, and select Modify.
- In the Value data box, type "2" and click OK
- Reboot the computer
To configure the L2TP/IPsec connection:
- Open Network and Sharing Center in the Control Panel
- Go to the Windows Menu, then Control Panel
- Click on Network and Internet
- Click on Network and Sharing Center
- Click Setup a new connection or network
- Choose Connect to a workplace then Next
- Click Use my Internet Connection (VPN)
- In the Internet address field, type one of the server hostnames found here
- In the Destination name field, type a descriptive name.
- Check Don't connect now then click Next
- Type in your Giganews Login (e-mail address) and Password in their respective fields; leave Domain blank
- Check Remember this password
- Click Create and then Close
- Open VPN Connection Properties
- In the Network and Sharing Center, click Manage Network Settings
- Right-click your new connection and click Properties
- Configure for L2TP/IPsec
- On the Security tab, change the dropdown box from Automatic to Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol with IPsec (L2TP/IPsec)
- Under the Security tab, click Advanced settings and select Use preshared key for authentication. Next to Key enter: thisisourkey
- On the Security tab, change the Data Encryption to Maximum strength encryption to enable 256-bit encryption.
- In the Windows Taskbar, click on the Network icon
- Click on your new connection, and then click on the Connect button
- Type in your Giganews Login and Password in their respective fields and click Connect
- Click the Network icon on the taskbar
- Click the name of your VPN connection, then Disconnect
If you need any further assistance, please contact our 24/7 Customer Success Team, who would be glad to assist.