The Giganews Accelerator is free Windows software that compresses headers for faster access. It also enables 256-bit encryption.
These days, most modern newsreaders already have the functionality provided by the Giganews Accelerator built into them. Such as header compression and SSL support. Generally, we recommend customers only use it in the event that their newsreader does not those features.
The Giganews Accelerator works with:
- Any NNTP newsreader
- Giganews memberships only. It will not work with other Usenet providers
- Any Windows OS with Microsoft's 32-bit .Net framework 2.0
To use the Giganews Accelerator, change the server settings in your newsreader to:
- Username: Giganews username
- Password: Giganews password
- Server: localhost (do not use news.giganews.com)
- Port: 119 (do not use ports 23, 80, 443 or 563)
- SSL (if your newsreader supports it): disabled
If you have an SSL Enabled Giganews account plan, the rest of your connection will automatically receive the full 256-bit SSL connection with these settings.
If you need any further assistance, please contact our 24/7 Customer Success Team, who would be glad to assist.